Head Start Assistant Teacher
New St. Paul Head Start
Job Description/ Duties:
- Assists the teacher in all classroom activities, field trips and activities including weekly preparation of daily lesson plans, which includes objectives to be posted for parents, volunteers and visitors in the classroom.
- Provide sufficient and appropriate outdoor time daily for children. Dress in clothing which is appropriate for outdoor activity and all weather conditions.
- Assists in developing materials and providing activities related to the cultural background of the children and families served.
- Participates in the screening, observation and documentation of children.
- Helps supervise at mealtime, eating with the children to encourage good nutrition and proper social skills.
- Helps keep the classroom and its contents clean and orderly.
- Is familiar with each child and parent.
- Uses initiative and imagination to assist the child and be perceptive and knowledgeable about the needs of each child.
- Assists the teacher in any aspect of the program as the need arises.
- Takes charge of the class in the teacher’s absence.
Makes home visits with the teacher as required or requested and documents them as requested
Qualifications: Minimum requirement is an Associate Degree in early childhood/child development, or CDA credential. Some experience preferred.
Skills Required: Acceptable tuberculosis screening results, a clear criminal records check (including sex offender registry check and State or FBI fingerprint checks), child abuse registry check and an initial health exam are required post job offer and prior to employment, as well as annual clearances.
Physical Requirements: Ability to relate sensitively with children and to work well with staff, parents and families. Ability to follow directions and take initiative. Ability to keep all information regarding families strictly confidential. Ability to communicate effectively with children, families and staff. Ability to work with typically developing children and children with disabilities.
Health, Vision, Dental, Retirement
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should fax their resumes to the attention of Human Resources at 313-835-0401 or email at HumanResources@NewStPaul-HS.org